Tuesday, July 05, 2005

 

Scarecrow, I'll miss you most of all

What a weekend! Gaylaxicon is over, but oh, what a time we had. From Friday afternoon to late Monday night the ride careened from the intellectual to the inane, from the way cool to just a little creepy, from the deliberate and strategic to the drunken and serendipitous… and all of it topped off with a fireworks farewell. After slowly edging my way home through the post-Pops traffic I fell into my bed exhausted yet ecstatic. You know the kind of feeling you have when you think you’ve just met the boy/girl/entity of your dreams? Well, it was sort of like that. That alive and awake as if you’d never been before, that everything possible and everything is good kind of feeling… if I hadn’t fired my psychiatrist he might tell me this is what normal people call happiness… but whatever it was/is it feels great! So, anyway, as I lay in bed slowly letting go to my exhaustion, happy as a kid at Christmas, I stared at the ceiling reviewing the tapes in my head and thanking (my particular interpretation and construct of) the creator for a fantastic weekend, for all the great and glorious people, for the insight and opportunity to evade the few not so glorious people and for many other things people and moments. Here are a few.

- Lois McMaster Bujold’s personal insight into the world of Miles Naismith Vorkosigan
- Johanna Sinisalo’s moving and funny Tiptree Award acceptance speech
- Seeing Sorority Girls from Hell for the first time in YEARS
- The chance to spend time with Jed, Randy, David and all the other great guys I met at Noreascon 4
- Getting to see that The Doctor is back… even if we are being deprived of direct access to his coolness by the American media czars
- Getting to know the fabulous folks from Toronto – I am so there next year
- Finding a volunteer function I’m actually good at and like doing – thinking ahead to Arisia
- Meeting that terribly handsome author and sharing some laughs with that striking and witty comic creator
- The un-ending group participation Alan and Quincy Bear performance art experience and all that it represents

There were and are so many more, and so, attending to more prime material recognitions, thank you to The Con Committee, the volunteers and everybody else who helped make this weekend what it was. Special thanks to Jed, Randy, Woody, David, Alan, Jay, Johanna, Stephanie, Jack, Lars, Lois, Wayne and Walter… and as ever, thanks to Shanna and T for getting me here in the first place. See you in Toronto!

{Con pictures now up here} 7/22/05

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?