Friday, May 27, 2005

 

Don't Panic

I have been remiss in my missives. Things have been trying and tiring. I was disheartened by the news from the physician supervising my renovations that I will not be off the bloody hobble-sticks until the second week in June and then only to have the reconstructed limb wrapped in a pneumatic storm trooper boot for an additional two weeks bringing the grand total time spent in varying stages of active crippledom to eight months. Fortunately due to the intervention of some determined friends I was rousted from the house for a trip to the cinema. Oh, how lives can be changed in only two hours through the magic of Hollywood or its foreign/indie equivalent. I saw Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. After being cheered by the delicious absurdity of the Golden Age of Musicals style dolphin number one question leapt immediately to my mind. Where have you been all my life? No, the answer was not 42. My long suffering media-fed friend was right, I need the cable. (Don’t be coarse.) Had I cable television I would have had the BBC at my fingertips and not have had to wait until now to even know about… him. Martin Freeman. (sigh) So, I’m a gushing fan-boy. Well, not literally, my hands are chastely and industriously busied with the keyboard… but he is adorable. Now, this is not enough to make my life come true, but in a landscape of under-emoting ersatz pretty boys and lackluster lotharios it is so heartening to see something that expands the heart and delights both the eyes and the mind. An avatar of possibility. I haven’t felt this way since Fellowship of the Ring, but they were hobbits and hobbits aren’t real… and no matter what Cassandra Claire says, the humans/hobbit height difference makes the geometry nearly too tricky... nearly. But, Arthur Dent is human, in fact the narrator specifically says he’s five foot eight. Martin must be around that, right? I know, a wee bit tall for me, but heck, if he promises to where the darling pajamas for me I’ll deal. And before you think me completely unrealistic and off my nut, I’ve already looked into it… unlike Sean Astin this one is not already married.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?