Friday, March 04, 2005

 

cloudbusting

Everytime it rains,
You're here in my head
Like the sun coming out -
Ooh I just know that something good is going to happen
And I don't know when
But just saying it could even make it happen.

from Cloudbusting by Kate Bush

I have long adored the lush and mysterious pop music of Kate Bush. It is not only for her soaring other worldly vocals, unique melodies and sumptuous production but also her unorthodox choice of subject matter. From cross dressing, to incest, to science fiction to the writing of Emily Bronte she has found in them all sources of beguiling compositions. Today by random chance I discovered that one of my favorite Kate Bush songs, “Cloudbusting”, is not solely the product of her fertile imagination, but based on a real series of events. The song tells part of the saga of scientist Wilhelm Reich and his battles with the U.S. government. I have yet to do enough research into this man and his story to pass any judgments on the veracity of his work, but why did the government order all of his research notes and apparatus destroyed and all of his books pulled from publication until thoroughly edited to their specifications before re-release? Whatever the case, he was certainly a “dangerous” dreamer and the world can always use more of those, both active and remembered.

“I am well aware of the fact that the human race has known about the existence of a universal energy related to life for many ages. However, the basic task of natural science consisted of making this energy usable. This is the sole difference between my work and all preceding knowledge.”
— Wilhelm Reich, Archives of the Orgone Institute

Comments:
Talk about synchronisity. I was listening to Kate Bush when I read this. Cloudbusting had just finished. :-)
I found a number of artiles on Wilhelm Reich and his work on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Reich

It put a bunch of stuff I had heard via hearsay into context. You might start your search there!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?