Sunday, February 06, 2005

 

not one ringy-dingy

It appears that the social contract has fallen out of favor with far too many people. Yesterday I was stood up twice. All afternoon and early evening I was expecting a previously arranged telephone call from a gentleman with whom I was to make plans for an evening outing. I had planned to suggest we attend an early performance at a club in Cambridge and then meet up with some friends of mine for cocktails at a drinking establishment we both frequent. He never called. So, by the time I had given up on him it was too late for culture and time to move straight on to drink and revelry among my fellows. And I went to the bar, and I did have friends there, and I did have a jolly time. However, the specific group of people who were "most assuredly going to be there" never materialized. What in this age of inescapable communication is so difficult about calling to say, "So sorry, plans have changed. I can’t make it." or "Tallulah is in a snit and says we have to go to another bar, can you meet us at the Rum Guzzler instead?" I mean really, a little courtesy, people.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?