Wednesday, February 16, 2005

 

malaise

What a strange day… or, more accurately, what a strange mood I am in today. I have been rather productive with respect to the needs of my employers, but distracted and remote from my deeper self. NPR has not been helping. I suspect that being assailed by the insincere bleating of right-wing bigots sporting apple pie facials, biblical pasties and American flag diapers, or being appraised of the dire and horrifyingly prolific use of children as soldiers in the pettily motivated bloodshed of a world in turmoil have done nothing but send me into some sort of cognitive retreat. I have received so much news lately of both a personal and public nature that along with this most recent “holiday” and its attendant baggage comprise quite a list of reasons to be depressed. I am trying to extract myself from this mire of simultaneous disassociation and hedonism, sleep depravation and fiscal tomfoolery. Why can’t the people at NPR be more sympathetic? Don’t allow the jack-booted christianist extremists yet another mouthpiece in a media landscape they have already slashed and burned and sewn with the seeds of deception. Yes, educate me as to the injustice of the world and the plight of these legions of victimized children, but please, follow it up with an uplifting story. How about how a bald yet beautiful and powerful Melissa Etheridge newly finished with chemo therapy for breast cancer rocked the Grammys with an inspired tribute to Janis Joplin? Don’t tell me how the monkey prince is going to ruin social security and leave me destitute and panhandling for pills outside a straight-christian-whites only geriatric clinic. I already know.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?